The Leaving Cert is well and truly over and only two things remain to define summer 2012 for a generation of eager students: the Debs and the results. Decide for yourself which comes first in the pecking order. I can do nothing about exam results, but I can certainly help when it comes to getting suited and booted for special occasions – and for thousands of students around the country this summer, what occasion is more important than the Debs? While the ladies will receive masses of attention from every retailer in Ireland, the guys can be decidedly neglected, so we’ve created the ultimate guy’s guide for Debs Season 2012.
Here are some quick Dos and Don’ts before your big day:
- Remember the corsage.
- Impress your date’s mother with some flowers and chocolates.If you’re matching your tie to the lady’s dress, also buy matching socks – it shows attention to detail.
- Buy a decent deodorant. Leave the Lynx in the gearbag fellas. Or in the bin…where it truly belongs.
- Wear white socks with your suit. Actually, unless you’re on a GAA field,
- NEVER wear while socks.
- Wear a tacky belt that lights up. No one will be impressed. Everyone will be awkward.
- Never overspray. If you’ve got some nice cologne, don’t use half the bottle. People will wrench. Simple as.
- Use half a bottle of hair gel. It’s not 2004.
- Get too drunk. Have a good time, but downing shhnakey naggins won’t do you any favours when you get a nosebleed all over your €125 Canali shirt. Oh the memories…
When you’ve got those in order, here are some of the best suits on the market:
Two Piece Berry Suit – River Island
I’m loving this River Island suit. It’s a fantastic option for Debs 2012 because its colour is bang on trend. The SS 12 catwalks were filled with berry, wine and burgundy shades and this suit is a sure-fire killer look. When every Tom Dick and Harry will be wearing an “oh so stylish grey suit” (boooring), this River Island gem will stand out amongst the mediocrity. Grey suits are fine, but EVERYONE is wearing them now. With a pared down crisp white shirt and skinny black tie, this look will ensure you’re onto a stylish winner!
Classic Blue Suit – Reis
If you’re willing to splash out on your Debs suit, then there’s no better place to do it than Reiss and you won’t find a smarter sartorial marvel than this Eldon creation. This single breasted, notch lapel suit is the ultimate in luxury formalwear, with silk lining and mohair-blend fabric. If you want to really spruce yourself up for the Debs this year, this classic look is a fantastic option. Pair it with some dark brown brogues and a light blue shirt for maximum impact!
Slim-Fit Classic Tuxedo – Topman
There is no better way to wow a crowd than with tuxedo. Make like James Bond in this classic tuxedo from Topman and put on dapper performance for Debs Season 2012. While a tie will look great with this option, bow-ties come in wide array of colours, so complementing your girl’s dress with an appropriately shaded bow-tie would be a guaranteed way to earn some extra brownie points! In this suit, there’ll be no shhnakey naggins, just lots of Martinis. Shaken, not stirred of course…